1 cup flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
50 gm unsalted butter
1 large egg
1tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt ( You can skip this, if using salted butter)
Zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
for icing -
1/2 cup whipped cream (I used Richs)
50gm icing sugar
zest of 1 orange
2 tsp fresh orange juice
yield - 6 cupcakes
- Preheat your oven at 190 degree C. Line your muffin tray with liners and keep aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a bowl. Add egg and mix throughly.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture slowly, little at a time. Add orange juice and zest lastly and make sure it's nicely incorporated in the mixture.
- Pour this mixture into the liners with the help of spoon. Make sure not to fill them beyond 2/3rd of the capacity.
- Put the tray in the oven for 18-20 mins.
- After they are done, Insert the toothpick in the center of a cupcake and see if it come out clean. If not, they need to be popped back in oven for another 2-3 mins.
- Once they are done, take out cupcakes from the tray and let them cool. Icing should be done only after cupcakes have cooled down, else icing will not stay.
- I use my hand mixer for this step, but it can also be done in stand mixer or by hand.
- keep your whisks and bowl in fridge for about 20 mins.
- Pour about half of cream, sugar zest and juice in the bowl. Whisk it together. You can taste it at this point and adjust the flavors/sweetness.
- Add rest of the cream and whip it again. Eventually the cream will double in volume and will become stiff enough to hold peaks. Make sure not to overwhip it.
- You can decorate your cupcakes the way you like, either with a dollop or with the help of a piping bag.